On behalf of the AFCOOP staff and HIFF team (and ceramic cats pictured above) THANK YOU for being part of HIFF 2016.
- HIFF 2016 included 17 new short films by Atlantic Canadian filmmakers including: Seth Smith, Dawn George, Daniel Boos, Yalitsa Riden, Heather Young, Solomon Nagler, Josh Owen, Susan Wolf, Jim MacSwain, David Stewart, Stephanie Clattenburg, Nicole Steeves, Todd Fraser, Urs Frei, Tim Tracey, Jeff Wheaton and Millefiore Clarkes.
International Visiting Filmmakers
- Afghan/Canadian coproduction Mina Walking with filmmaker Yosef Baraki in attendance
- A retrospective of the short films of Montreal based filmmaker Marie-Ève Juste
- New York based filmmaker Laura Israel screened the documentary Don’t Blink: Robert Frank
- Experimental feature film 88:88 by Isiah Media
- Day-time masterclasses with visiting filmmakers and local filmmakers supported by additional funding from Telefilm Canada and Arts Nova Scotia.
- Five visiting programmers, Jason Anderson (Toronto International Film Festival), Daniel Ebner (Vienna Independent Shorts) Julie Bernier (REGARD), Dan Karolewicz (Festival du nouveau cinema), and Curtis Woloschuk (Vancouver International Film Festival). The programmers were in Halifax to watch local shorts and take part in one-on-one meetings with local filmmakers.
Installations and Multi-format Screenings
- Becka Barker presented her 16mm film loop installation Place Holder: Waterfowl Rice at Hermes Gallery. The project was created as part of AFCOOP’s Sweet Home Commissioning Grant.
- Visiting filmmaker Alexandre Larose, presented a collection of multi-format experimental shorts which were screened on 16mm, 35mm and digital formats.
HIFF 2016 was made possible thanks to the generous support of the following funders and sponsors:
Canada Council for the Arts
Department of Canadian Heritage
Province of Nova Scotia
Arts Nova Scotia
Halifax Regional Municipality
Centre for Art Tapes
Screen Nova Scotia
Propeller Brewing Company